Thursday, February 23, 2012

Swiffer knit therapy: No Fault Insurance for Hoarding Therapy

I just found this very cool stash-busting therapeutic knitting project at stitchtherapybrooklyn.blogspot.com on swiffer-knits by stopek.html .
The recommended yarn is "acrylic", and who of us doesn't have some acrylic yarn we regret buying stashed away somewhere?  I saw a mountain of it for $1 a pound at the thrift store today.

And "NO, I did NOT buy ANY".  (I knew you would ask.)

My early eBay shopping exploits are some of the classic doozies of splurges on things that looked good online, and ended up being something else entirely upon receipt.  My best example was a "soft blue" that was only "soft" in its color.  The acrylic was somewhere between sandpaper and barbed wire in texture.  "Phentex" was also a yarn that I had no experience with that did not live up to expectations.  Therefore, I have a lot of yarn that I can't get rid of and can't use.  But, to get out of the hoarding mess I'm in, I need to do something with it.

The flip side of this conundrum is the OCD issues that I have with knitting.  I believe it would be very therapeutic to knit without worry.  Without perfection.  Throwing caution to the wind.  There should be a freedom in using a swiffer cloth as a testing object and not caring if there’s a mistake while I’m learning a new stitch.  I cannot imagine, in even my warped little mind, anyone that would be judgmental of a cloth to be used to scrub the floor.  I realize that pot-holders and dishcloths are supposed to serve that function.  But, I have people that are very opinionated on what a “proper” pot-holder is, and how a dishcloth should be constructed.  I recently found out that my MIL wasn’t using the hot-pad I had spun, knit and felted expressly for the purpose of holding hot dishes on the table.  Her reasoning:  she didn’t think it was washable.  So much for giving her something she could use every day.

Anyway, swiffer-cloths may be my new laboratory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Keep it Clean: